Gary Michael Null (born 1945) is a talk radio host and author on alternative and complementary medicine, anti-psychiatry, and nutrition in the United States. He is the owner of the supplement and media company Gary Null & Associates Inc. He was raised in West Virginia with his brother, Steve. He has one daughter, Shelly Null.
Gary Null holds an Associate Degree in Business Administration as well as a Bachelor of Science degree from Thomas A. Edison State College in Trenton, New Jersey and a PhD from Union Institute & University in Cincinnati, Ohio, in human nutrition and public health sciences. His PhD thesis was titled, "A Study of Psychological and Physiological Effects of Caffeine on Human Health." This school is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools but its accreditation does not cover awarding of PhDs in the sciences, only in the humanities. He is a New York State Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist.
Gary Null was a short-order cook in his 20's in New York City. Later, he was a New York City health food restaurant owner. He is best known as a promoter of natural and alternative remedies. He is the prolific author and producer of more than seventy books, booklets, and audio CDs on the topics of health, wellness, nutrition, and alternative medicine. Gary Null has compiled a recommended nutritional protocol for several conditions and diseases, and for anti-aging. He promotes the benefits of exercise, vegetable juice, and supplemental dietary herbs, phytonutrients, anti-oxidants, amino acids, vitamins (especially vitamin C), and minerals.
Gary Null is a competitive athlete, winning dozens of USA track and field national championships, regional championships, and over 300 local races. Gary Null organized a health support group in Los Angeles and a spring-time running and walking club in Central Park, New York City. He also ran in the New York City marathon over a 20 year span beginning in 1980. He is a competitive marathon race-walker.
His syndicated public radio talk show, Natural Living with Gary Null, earned eight Silver Microphone Awards and remains the longest-running, continuously airing health program in America for 27 years and counting from New York City. He now broadcasts straight to desktops and internet-enabled devices on The Progressive Radio Network through Modavox.
Gary Null has produced several documentary films and many videos on public policy issues, personal health, and personal development. He has also directed and appeared in films and videos. Gary Null is an occasional fund-raiser for PBS television stations KCET in Los Angeles and KOCE in Orange County, California.
Gary Null is outspoken in his criticism of many facets of conventional medicine. He says that physicians are not conspiring but are just trained and conditioned to accept the premises of their profession. Concerning chronic illnesses their economic interest is in sickness maintainence, not prevention. He has been highly critical of conventional medicine throughout his career. Null co-authored a series of articles on cancer research, new therapies, and political influence for Penthouse beginning with one entitled "The Great Cancer Fraud". He accused the "medical community of suppressing alternative cancer treatments to protect the medical establishment's solid-gold cancer train". Time said (1999), "from a young reporter this is to be expected. But two decades later, Null, 54 is still warning of a variety of medical bogeymen out to gull a trusting public". Null is also noted for his stance denying the link between HIV and AIDS.
In a speech on May 15, 1979, titled, Fascism in Medicine he bared the power of medical associations, "...this shows you where fascism really exists, any doctor in the United States who cures cancer using alternative methods will be destroyed". He went on to accuse researchers of wasting research money. When you spend a "trillion dollars on something, you're going to assume you're going to come up with some positive ideas. But there are no positive ideas in cancer". With regard to health care he stated, "There is no health-care in the United States or in England. Or anywhere else. It doesn't exist. We have sickness maintenance". He believes physicians were not acting in the best interest of their patients because of their conditioning, training, and acceptance certain premises; that physicians have been trained in pharmacology, not in prevention.
Null co-authored a two-part report called Death by Medicine" and a 35-part collection of studies of medical wrongdoing entitled, Iatrogenic Illness: The Downside of Modern Medicine. With the intention of eliminating what he saw as abusive practices by the pharmaceutical industry, he prepared the 2006 documentary Medicine for Sale which investigated what he called "the symbiotic relationships between the pharmaceutical industry, the FDA, lobbyists, lawmakers, medical schools, and researchers, and the impact this has on consumers and their health care."
Gary Null has also been highly critical of psychiatry, psychiatric labeling, psychiatric drugs, and the treatment of mental health patients. He was active in discrediting the widespread use of electro-convulsive shock therapy. He brought attention to preventing the over-prescription of anti-depressants, and Ritalin. He has written numerous articles on these topics. Referencing the work of authors Joe Sharkey, Thomas Szasz, and Peter Breggin, and the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) of The Church of Scientology in the 1990’s Gary Null’s 1997 article, The Hidden Side of Psychiatry, attacked American psychiatry for financial fraud, pointless research by the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), inhumane treatment of patients, the use of Prozac, the use of electro convulsive therapy (ECT), sexual abuse of female patients in violation of the Hippocratic Oath, the exploitation of minorities, and Nazi influences on American psychiatry in the pseudo-science, eugenics. Null stated, "Millions of individuals are being grievously harmed by the mental health profession, and it's time that we as a society faced this."
Many of Null's viewpoints are controversial and he has attracted the attention of Dr. Stephen Barrett who writes critically on his website Quackwatch about those he considers to be engaged in quackery or pseudoscience. Barrett analyses and disparages Null's PhD thesis, his alternative health claims, and several of his commercial products.
The James Randi Educational Foundation, an organisation that aims to promote critical thinking, has accused him, together with Wayne Dyer, of "dealing in nonsense", promoting the notion of eternal youth, and prescribing magnets and "other medieval tools" to prevent aging.
The Null Hypothesis: Comments on Gary Null's "Death by Medicine" by James R. Laidler, MD  Dr. Laidler criticises Null’s work for double counting statistics and for presenting a simplistic and skewed view of medicine.
Death by Medicine: Does American medicine "cause more harm than good"? by Harriet Hall, MD. “Doctor-bashing is a hobby of many alternative medicine proponents. They point out everything that is wrong with conventional medicine, but they don't put their criticisms into perspective. They don't mention how much good medicine does and how many lives it saves.”
* Gary Null's Power Foods: The 15 Best Foods for Your Health. :NAL Hardcover, Dec. 5, 2006. ISBN 0451219763] 336 pages. [Gary Null extols the benefits of eating organic, whole, raw, and vegan foods. His 15 best foods are almonds, bananas, blueberries, carrots, garlic, ginger, leafy greens, legumes, onions, oranges, peppers, shitake mushrooms, soy, tomatoes and whole grains.]
* Gary Null's Mind Power: Rejuvenate Your Brain and Memory Naturally. :New American Library, December, 2005, 326 pages. ISBN 0451216733
* Get Healthy Now! with Gary Null: A Complete Guide to Prevention, Treatment and Healthy Living. (2nd rev.ed., Amy McDonald, Senior Project Editor)(pbk) Seven Stories Press, Oct. 1, 2006. ISBN 1583227534 1146 pages. 2nd ed. (pbk), Dec. 30, 2000, ISBN 1583220429, 1037 pages. 1st ed. 1999.
* Healing with Magnets. (On pulsed bioelectric magnetic therapy and fixed magnetic therapy.) :Carrol & Graf Publishers, August 2, 2006. softcover, 240 pages. ISBN 0786705306
* Kiss Your Fat Goodbye: The Ultimate Guide to Losing Weight and Building a Healthy Body for Life. :Broadway, Feb. 28, 2006 ISBN 0767925174. 720 pages.
* The Complete Encyclopedia of Natural Healing: A Comprehensive A-Z listing of Common and Chronic Illnesses and their Proven Natural Treatments. (rev.& updated ed., Oct.1, 2005) :Kensington. (pbk) ISBN 0758213167. 320 pages. Also (pbk) :KTrade Paper, 2000.
* Gary Null's Power Aging. :NAL Trade, Dec. 7, 2004 ISBN 451213082 400 pages.
* Germs, Biological Warfare, Vaccinations: What You Need to Know (with James Feast). :Seven Stories Press, 1st ed. Feb. 2003. (pbk) ISBN 1583225189. 304 pages.
* Gary Null's Guide to a Joyful, Healthy Life. :1st Carroll & Graf Ed., January 2000. (HB) ISBN-13: 978-0786707126. 848 pages. :Carroll & Graf Publishers, July 10, 2002, reprint ed. of three books: Who Are You Really, Be Kind to Yourself, and Choosing Joy. (pbk) ISBN-13: 978-0786709946. 768 pages.
* Women's Health Solutions. :Seven Stories Press, 1st ed., Jan. 9, 2002. ISBN 1583224199 640 pages.
* The Joy of Juicing: Creative Cooking with Your Juicer (with Shelly Null). New York: Avery, rev., updated. May 31, 2001. ISBN 58333-102-6. 240 pages.
* AIDS: A Second Opinion (with James Feast). :Seven Stories Press, 1st Ed., December 2001. (HB) ISBN-13: 978-1583222067. 400 pages.
* The Baby Boomer's Guide to Getting It Right the Second Time Around (with Vicki Riba Koestler). :Carrol & Graf Publishers, 2001, (pbk) ISBN 0786708514. 384 pages.
* For Women Only! Your Guide to Health Empowerment (with Barbara Seaman). New York, NY: Seven Stories Press, reprint (pbk). 1999, (HB). ISBN 1583220153. 1573 pages. Oct. 10, 2001 (pbk) ISBN-13: 978-1583222978. 1600 pages. (Gary Null's section is ~600 pages on causes, symptoms, prevention, and treatment of conditions and illnesses; Barbara Seaman's section is on the history of the women's health movement and 200 selections from feminist writers.)
* Gary Null's Ultimate Lifetime Diet: A Revolutionary All-Natural Program for Losing Weight and Building a Healthy Body. :Broadway, Jan.2, 2001. (pbk) ISBN 0767904742 720 pages.
* Gary Null's Ultimate Anti-Aging Program. :K Hardcover, 1st ed., Feb. 15, 1999. ISBN 1575664095 (HB) 498 pages. And :Kensington (1999)(pbk)[ASIN: B000HZXEC4]. And :Broadway, reprint ed., Dec. 1, 1999. (pbk)ISBN 0767904360 608 pages. And :Broadway Books (2000). (pbk) [ASIN: B000GRS85Q]
* The Clinician's Handbook of Natural Healing: The first comprehensive guide to scientific peer review studies of natural supplements and their proven treatment values. New York: Kensington Publ. Corp., March 1, 1998. (HB) ISBN 1-57566-720-7. 870 pages. And Nov. 1, 2000, (pbk) ISBN-13: 978-1575667201. 880 pages.
* Choosing Joy: Change Your Life for the Better (with Vicki Riba Koestler). 1st Carroll & Graf edition. New York: Carroll & Graf Publishers, April 1998 [ISBN 0-7867-0522-1] (pbk) 311 pages.
* The Joy of Juicing Recipe Guide: Creative Cooking With Your Juicer (with chef Shelly Null). :Penguin Group USA, Inc., 1996 (pbk) [ASIN: B000J33RKS]. And :Avery, April 1, 1992. (pbk) ISBN 0895295927. 240 pages. And :Golden-Lee Book Distributors, Inc. (1992) (pbk)[ASIN: B0000J00HPG]. And :Gary Null & Associates (1991) (pbk) [ASIN: B000MPR0E8].
* The Women's Encyclopedia of Natural Healing. :Seven Stories Press, Nov. 1996 ISBN 1888363357 (28 ailments) 411 pages.
* Who Are You, Really?: Understanding Your Life's Energy. New York: Carroll & Graf, July 1996 ISBN 0-7867-0326-1 (pbk) 218 pages.
* Be Kind To Yourself: Explorations into Self-Empowerment. New York: Carroll & Graf Publishers, Sept. 1995. ISBN 0786702695. 256 pages.
* Nutrition and the mind. New York/London: Four Walls Eight Windows, 1995. ISBN 1-56858-021-5
* Ultimate Training: Gary Null's Complete Guide to Eating Right, Exercising, and Living Longer (with Dr. Howard Robins). :St. Martin's Griffin, March 15, 1993. ISBN 0312087968. 224 pages.
* No More Allergies: Identifying and Eliminating Allergies and Sensitivity Reactions to Everything in Your Environment (The Gary Null Natural Health Library). :Villard, 1st ed., Nov. 3, 1992. ISBN 0679743101. 464 pages.
* How to keep your feet & legs healthy for a lifetime: the only complete guide to foot and leg care, with sections for walkers, joggers, and runners (with Howard Robins). 1st ed. New York: Four Walls Eight Windows, c1990, ISBN 0-941423-36-0
* Black Hollywood: The Black Performer in Motion Pictures. :Carol Publishing Corp. (pbk) Reissue Ed., April 1990. ISBN-13: 978-0806509082. 254 pages.
* The Complete Guide to Health and Nutrition: A Sourcebook for a Healthier Life. London: Arlington, 1984. ISBN 0-85140-655-6. And :Dell, Aug. 1, 1986. (pbk) ISBN-13: 978-0440506126. 608 pages.
* Man and His Whole Earth. Harrisburg, Pa: Stackpole 1976. ISBN 0-8117-0969-8. :Pyramid Books, 1977. (Mass Market PBK) ISBN-13: 978-0515036206. 159 pages.
Science Fraud Bibliography Index:
* Null, Gary and Houston, Robert The Great Cancer Fraud. Penthouse, 1979 (September): p.76-78, 82, 268, 270, 272, 274, 276-278.
* Null, G. "The suppression of cancer cures." Penthouse, 1979 (October): 90-92, 94-96.
* Null, G. and Pitrone, A. Suppression of new cancer therapies: Dr. Joseph Gold and hydrazine sulfate. Penthouse, 1980 (January): 97-98, 160, 162-163.
* Null, G. and Steinman, L. The politics of cancer. Part five. Suppression of new cancer therapies: Dr. Lawrence Burton. Penthouse, 1980 (July): 75-76, 188-194, 196-197.
* Caffeine: Psychological Effects, Use and Abuse Sanford Bolton, Ph.D. and Gary Null, M.S. 1981. 47 references from 1965-1981.
* The Antioxidant Vitamin - Vitamin C by Gary Null, Ph.D. 15 pages. 69 endnotes, 1991.
* The Hidden Side of Psychiatry by Gary Null, Ph.D. 49 endnotes. 38 pages. 1997. 
* Iatrogenic Illness: The Downside of Modern Medicine: A White Paper by Gary Null, PhD & Debora Rasio, MD. 2000.
* Fluoride: The Deadly Legacy. A 16-part white paper by Gary Null, Ph.D. 2001. 233 endnotes.
* The Fluoridation Fiasco by Gary Null. 85 endnotes. © 1983-2002 ]Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients.
* Vitamin C and Treatment of Cancer: Part I Abstracts and Commentary from the Scientific Literature and Vitamin C and the Treatment of Cancer: Part II by Gary Null, Ph.D.; Howard Robins, DPM; Mark Tanenbaum, DPM; and Patrick Jennings, Editor. A review of the medical literature published in the Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients – May 1997.
* Death by Medicine By Gary Null, PhD; Carolyn Dean MD, ND; Martin Feldman, MD; Debora Rasio, MD; and Dorothy Smith, PhD. Six pages. 152 references. 2004.
* OXYGEN THERAPY The Empire Strikes Back! (Gary Null interview 1993) Transcript of radio interview conducted in mid-1993 by Gary Null of WBAI; Nexus Magazine Dec 1993--Jan 1994. Polyatomic Apheresis unit.
* Fascism in Medicine. by Gary Null, Ph.D Speech given May 15, 1994 at a forum on Democracy and Fascism. Broadcast June 6, 1994 on the Pacifica Radio station WBAI-FM, New York. A 12-page transcript is available on the www.whale.to website.
* FLU VACCINE: Interview of Dr. Eva Snead. by Gary Null 8-minute interview. No date.
* Emerging Viruses: AIDS & Ebola. Nature, Accident or Intentional? Interview of Leonard G. Horowitz, D.M.D., M.A.., M.P.H. by Gary Null 1995.
* Why We Lost The War On Cancer. Two page essay, 1997.
* Pathologizing Life. by Gary Null © 2002, ADHD and Ritalin. 59 endnotes.
* Vaccines: A Second Opinion. by Gary Null. 2000.