Morbid Angel is a Florida-based death metal band assembled in 1983. They, along with Death were crucial in the development of the death metal genre and its standards. Their songs are complex in arrangement, owing to the considerable technical skills of guitarist Trey Azagthoth and drummer Pete Sandoval.
Morbid Angel was one of the original death metal bands signed to Earache Records, and were also influential in the transition of death metal from its thrash metal roots to its current form by adding uptempo blast beats, inspired by grindcore, and groove-oriented rhythms. They were also the first death metal band to have a touch of mainstream success, such as being signed to Giant Records in 1993 and having the music video for the song "God of Emptiness" shown on an episode of Beavis and Butthead.
Morbid Angel is one of the first death metal bands to be overtly influenced by classical music.
Their original lyrical themes dwelled mostly on Satanism and anti-Christian subject matter, but from second album "Blessed are the Sick" onward, the lyrics slowly moved toward the Ancient Sumerian Gods, though much of this is a nod to the Simon Necronomicon, which was influenced by Sumerian mythology as well as author H.P. Lovecraft), as well as a fascination with the Roman Empire, though anti-religious elements continue to permeate the lyrics.
Morbid Angel albums have been released in alphabetical order. The band is currently writing and recording a new studio album, due for release sometime in 2007, and likely to keep the trend with a title beginning with the letter I.
* Trey Azagthoth - Lead Guitar, Guitar Synth, Keyboards, Vocals (1983-Present)
* Pete Sandoval - Drums (1988-Present)
* David Vincent - Vocals, Bass (1986-1996, 2004-Present)
* Mike Browning - Drums, Vocals (1983-1986)
* Wayne Hartsell - Drums (1986-1988) Thee Unright
* Dallas Ward - Bass, Vocals (1983-1985)
* Richard Brunelle - Guitar (1985-1992,1998(live))
* Kenny Bamber - Vocals (1985)
* Sterling Von Scarborough - Bass (1986)
* Steve Tucker - Vocals, Bass (1997-2001, 2003-2004)
* Jared Anderson - Vocals, Bass (2001-2002)
* Tony Norman - Guitar (2003-2006)
* Erik Rutan - Lead Guitar, Keyboards (European Tour Only) (1993-1996, 1999-2002, 2006)
* John Ortega - Bass (1985-1986)
* Michael Manson - Vocals (1986)