The Bourne Ultimatum
The Bourne Ultimatum is a 2007 film based loosely on Robert Ludlum's best-selling novel of the same name. Matt Damon stars once again as Ludlum's signature character, amnesia-suffering assassin Jason Bourne. Julia Stiles, David Strathairn, Scott Glenn, Paddy Considine, Edgar Ramirez, Albert Finney, and Joan Allen co-star. Paul Greengrass directed the film from a script by Tony Gilroy, George Nolfi and Tom Stoppard who went uncredited. Universal Pictures released the film on August 3, 2007 in the U.S. and will release it August 16 in the UK and Ireland.
Rogue agent Jason Bourne (Matt Damon) is being hunted by the people in the CIA who trained him to be an assassin. Still suffering from amnesia and determined to finally learn of his true identity, he is lured out of hiding to contact a journalist named Simon Ross (Paddy Considine), who has been following his story. Throughout his research and the help from a secret CIA insider, Ross has gathered valuable information about Bourne and Treadstone, which trained him. This is rather inconvenient for U.S. government official Noah Vosen (David Strathairn), who started a new organization under the codename "Blackbriar" (which is briefly mentioned at the end of the first film) which followed in Treadstone's footsteps.
With intent to kill Bourne and the journalist before they expose the program's disturbing secrets, Vosen sends agent Pamela Landy (Joan Allen) who has valuable experience tracking Bourne to lead the search effort. Simultaneously, Paz (Edgar Ramirez), one of the new assassins (assets) associated with "Blackbriar", is dispatched to find and neutralize Bourne and Ross. In order to finally learn of his true origins and find inner peace, Bourne will have to evade, out-maneuver, and outsmart the deadliest group of highly-trained agents and assassins yet.
The film leaves a possibility for another Bourne movie though it is unknown if there is even one in the works.
Principal cast and characters
* Matt Damon as Jason Bourne
* Joan Allen as Pamela Landy
* Julia Stiles as Nicolette "Nicky" Parsons
* David Strathairn as Noah Vosen
* Paddy Considine as Ross
* Edgar Ramirez as Paz
* Joey Ansah as Desh
* Scott Adkins as Agent Kiley
* Daniel Fredenburgh as Jimmy
* Scott Glenn as Ezra Kramer
The Bourne Ultimatum was filmed in multiple locales, including New York City, India, Morocco, Spain, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom, as well as other locations in the United States. During mid-April 2007, on-location production took place at Waterloo Station in London. On 2007-05-09, on-location production took place in Paris, France.
The Bourne Ultimatum: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack is the soundtrack to The Bourne Ultimatum. John Powell returned as the composer, having composed the scores for the previous films.
1. "Six Weeks Ago" (4:31)
2. "Tangiers" (7:40)
3. "Thinking Of Marie" (3:51)
4. "Assets And Targets" (7:18)
5. "Faces Without Names" (3:31)
6. "Waterloo" (10:38)
7. "Coming Home" (3:19)
8. "Man Verses Man" (5:46)
9. "Jason Is Reborn" (4:04)
10. "Extreme Ways (Bourne's Ultimatum)" - written and performed by Moby (4:22)
The release of the film saw Google team up with Universal Pictures to create an online marketing promotion.
As of August 3, 2007 the film has a 94% fresh rating (115 out of 122 reviews positive) at Rotten Tomatoes, with a Cream Of The Crop score of 97%, higher than both of its predecessors. It has a score of 84 out of 100 (universal acclaim) on Metacritic and a score of 8.9 out of 10 on the Internet Movie Database.
A premiere of The Bourne Ultimatum in was held in downtown Oklahoma City on 2007-07-31, at Harkins Bricktown Theaters to benefit The Children's Center, located in suburban Bethany. The film was shown simultaneously on three screens. Star Matt Damon was at the event to greet guests.
The film will have a premiere in Australia on 2007-08-07, at the State Theatre in Sydney, with Matt Damon expected to attend.
* There is no title sequence except for the title card, just like in the past 2 films.
* The films begins as Bourne is tracked from his tunnel car chase/crash from The Bourne Supremacy.
* Ward Abbott's taped conversation with Bourne is replayed.
* Operation Blackbriar is mentioned first by Abbott in The Bourne Identity after closing Treadstone.
* Photos from the past movies (Bourne's and Nicky's passport and ID photos) as well as photos referencing the past movies (the Wombosi and Neski assassinations).
* Scenes with Marie and Bourne are reused (their kiss and river scenes).
* Nicky dyes and cuts her hair eerily like Marie did in Identity (which obviously shakes Bourne).
* Bourne strangles a fellow assassin to death, like in Supremacy.
* The car crash parallels the last one - this time Bourne's car is T-boned by the assassin, however the assassin survives but Bourne still gets out with his gun to stare him down.
* Bourne mentions the line "look what they make you give" - a line from Identity, spoken by the Professor (Clive Owen).
* The final image of Bourne floating in the water resembles the opening shots of him in The Bourne Identity, thus providing a symbolic bookend for the trilogy.
* "Extreme Ways" by Moby plays during the end credits as it does in the 2 other films.
* The final scene in Supremacy takes place as part of a flashback of Ultimatum. It is a reminder of the conversation between Pamela Landy and Jason Bourne. There is a discontinuous mistake from the end of Supremacy and Ultimatum. In Supremacy, Jason walks away in the New York crowd, and by observing the environment, it is clearly not winter or spring. In Ultimatum, the New York scenes take place in the spring, and this is evident by the snow and heavily clothed people on the streets.